We make house calls!
We can bring this course to you and run it for a fixed all-inclusive fee no matter where you are. All you have to do is provide the delegates and the meeting room.
Next scheduled course
We schedule this course based on demand. If you want to attend a public course, click on the button below. Once we get 8 like-minded individuals we'll schedule a course and let you know.
Overview: Morae Essentials
Morae has rapidly become the tool of choice for people carrying out usability tests. With the insight Morae provides, you can make critical design changes that will improve sales and conversion rates, boost Web site traffic, and increase customer satisfaction. But with the release of Morae 3, the software has become more complex and it's not always clear how to start using Morae to run a usability test, log data and analyse and report the results. The aim of this Morae training seminar is to show you how Morae is used in practice by usability experts.
Want something more advanced? Try Advanced usability testing with Morae.
"Great checklists and templates to maximise our use of Morae, with useful tips and tricks from the tutor." Hensen Blaauw, ING.
About your trainer
This seminar is led by Dr. David Travis, the author of E-Commerce Usability. David has more than 20 years experience in the field of user centred design and regularly writes "tips and tricks" articles on how to use Morae. David has delivered over 100 seminars in usability for a range of private and public sector organisations.
This seminar is aimed at
This workshop is for you if you are involved in carrying out usability tests with Morae. This is a hands-on seminar for usability testing practitioners who want to understand the details in using Morae for usability tests. Delegates receive a 98-page handbook containing hints and tips for using Morae.
To take part in the course, you need:
- A laptop with Morae 3.2 installed. If you don't have Morae 3.2 yet, you can install a fully-functional trial version for the period of the course.
- A pair of headphones for your laptop.
- A webcam.
Before attending the course, please check that your installation works by opening Morae Recorder and running a pilot test. How do I run a pilot test?
You will learn how to
- Confidently use Morae Recorder to set up and record a usability test, capturing clickstreams and picture-in-picture video.
- Create video recordings that you can hand to observers the instant the participant has finished.
- Customise Morae's marker terminology so that it matches your own.
- Use Morae's built-in survey tool to collect end-of-test participant ratings and comments.
- Log and observe important moments quickly and accurately (and get hands-on practice by watching real usability tests).
- Rapidly carry out sophisticated analysis in Morae Manager by creating and saving search profiles.
- Quickly and automatically analyse data, calculate usability metrics, and create graphs.
- Assemble graphs and important moments from the recording into a highlights video to share those "ah-ha!" moments.
- Export your results to Excel and quickly create a bug list to hand to the development team.
- Use keyboard shortcuts to work faster.
Introduction to Morae
- Nobody wants to be a beginner: moving towards "intermediate" status
- The 3 components of Morae
- When to use Recorder, Observer and Manager
Planning a usability test with Morae
- Morae Recorder and your usability test plan
- Describing your study and defining tasks in Morae
- Replacing Morae's default success scores
- Preparing for data logging and modifying the default markers
- Replacing the default post-test survey with the "Computer Usability Satisfaction Questionnaire"
The Pilot test
- Checking the video and audio
- Making a test recording
- Connecting to the test machine with Observer
- Capturing clickstreams and picture-in-picture video
The Usability test
- Coding participant behaviour
- 5 reasons why data logging is important
- Options for saving the recording file
- How to create "instant" videos to hand to clients
Using Morae to identify usability problems
- Cleaning up behavioural observations
- Using search profiles to find and review the usability problems
- What makes a good usability problem description?
- Logging the start and end of each task
- How to choose between Morae's various usability statistics
Presenting the data
- Using Morae's built-in graphing tools
- How to export your data to Excel
- Beginner's guide to creating a highlights video
Summary and Wrap-Up
- Brief review of the key topics
- Final opportunity for questions
What delegates say about this course
- "Now I know how to use markers properly I'll be able to analyse data in a lot more depth." Stephen Chambers, Red Gate Software.
- "Just to say a huge thanks from the team for a superb training day yesterday. One of the team said it was the best course they’d ever been on." Kath Moonan, AbilityNet.
- "Hands-on skills that I can apply in the workplace tomorrow." Jo Frudd, Cambridge Assessment.
- "I'll now be able to use Morae for more than just screen capture." Tom Randle, Red Gate Software.
- "Many practical exercises, exactly what I hoped for." Magdalena Weglowska, University of Cambridge.
- "Full of content that I can use straightaway." Kim Byers, Tamar.
What do I get when I book this course?
- 1 day training course with a usability expert.
- Practical checklists, worksheets and extensive notes to take home.
- 24/7 support to help you apply your learning.
- A proper, air-conditioned learning environment.
- CPD-approved course attendance certificate.
- A 2-course lunch and refreshments throughout the day.
- A money-back guarantee.
This course lasts one day.
Usability immersion training
- Foundation Certificate in UX
- Web Usability
- Intranet Usability
- Software Usability
- 2-hr User Experience Briefing
Usability design training
- Sketching and Ideation for Designers
- Web accessibility for developers
- Forms usability
- Axure Essentials
- Advanced prototyping with Axure
- How to write on-line documentation
- How to write an effective Style Guide
- Writing and editing for the web
- Usable mobile applications and IVRs
Usability research training
- Design ethnography
- Lean UX Starter Kit
- A practical guide to usability testing
- Build your own usability lab
- Best practice in usability test moderation
- Morae Essentials
- Google Analytics Essentials
- A practical guide to card sorting
- How to carry out an expert review
- How to design web surveys
Usability management training
- Usability standards and legislation
- Web accessibility briefing
- Cost justifying usability
- How to set and track usability metrics
- Consultancy skills
- User experience as a strategic process