We make house calls!
We can bring this course to you and run it for a fixed all-inclusive fee no matter where you are. All you have to do is provide the delegates and the meeting room.
Next scheduled course
We schedule this course based on demand. If you want to attend a public course, click on the button below. Once we get 8 like-minded individuals we'll schedule a course and let you know.
Overview: Build Your Own Usability Lab
After attending this training course, you will be able to easily build a portable digital usability lab. Because we recommend off-the-shelf components, your lab will cost a fraction of the price of commercial labs. With our guidance, you will be able to build a lab for around £2,500 (even less if you already own some of the equipment, such as a digital video camera). You will build a lab that comprises:
- A remote controlled digital video camera to provide you with detailed views of participants and any ancillary equipment.
- A small wireless camera and mount, ideal for recording the screens of PDAs or mobile phones.
- A scan converter, so that you can get a flicker-free recording of your web site or other software on the computer screen.
- A picture-in-picture (PiP) mixer that allows you to decide what gets recorded to tape: the participant's behaviour, the screen, or both.
- A broadcast-quality radio mic, so you can get crystal-clear recordings of what participants say.
- A digital VCR to record what your participants do.
The training is supported by an illustrated resource pack that shows you how to set up the equipment for the various types of test in about ten minutes.
“It's been one of those rare training events when I can't wait to put my learning into practice.”
— James O'Malley, Department for Work and Pensions.
About your trainer
This seminar is aimed at
- Usability professionals.
- Market researchers.
You will learn how to
- Specify the important components of a usability lab.
- Connect the various components together.
- Configure the equipment to carry out a usability test of a web site.
- Configure the equipment to carry out a usability test of a PDA or mobile phone.
- Configure the equipment to support both "thinking aloud" usability tests and "formal" usability tests.
- Get high quality audio recordings.
You need to be comfortable connecting off-the-shelf electronic components together, but if you know how to connect your video/DVD/games console to your TV set you will be able to follow this seminar.
Because of differences in electronic components throughout the world, we can only offer this seminar in the UK.
What delegates say about this course
- "It's been one of those rare training events when I can't wait to put my learning into practice".
- "Excellent and very enjoyable".
What do I get when I book this course?
- 1 day training course with a usability expert.
- Practical checklists, worksheets and extensive notes to take home.
- 24/7 support to help you apply your learning.
- A proper, air-conditioned learning environment.
- CPD-approved course attendance certificate.
- A 2-course lunch and refreshments throughout the day.
- A money-back guarantee.
This course lasts one day.
Usability immersion training
- Foundation Certificate in UX
- Web Usability
- Intranet Usability
- Software Usability
- 2-hr User Experience Briefing
Usability design training
- Sketching and Ideation for Designers
- Web accessibility for developers
- Forms usability
- Axure Essentials
- Advanced prototyping with Axure
- How to write on-line documentation
- How to write an effective Style Guide
- Writing and editing for the web
- Usable mobile applications and IVRs
Usability research training
- Design ethnography
- Lean UX Starter Kit
- A practical guide to usability testing
- Build your own usability lab
- Best practice in usability test moderation
- Morae Essentials
- Google Analytics Essentials
- A practical guide to card sorting
- How to carry out an expert review
- How to design web surveys
Usability management training
- Usability standards and legislation
- Web accessibility briefing
- Cost justifying usability
- How to set and track usability metrics
- Consultancy skills
- User experience as a strategic process