Welcome to the June edition of the Userfocus usability and user experience newsletter!
- Message from the Editor
- 6 mistakes that prevent UX teams from having boardroom influence
- From our archives: Dealing with difficult usability test participants
- What we're reading
- Online training in user experience
- User experience quotation of the month
"Sumer Is Icumen In" sang my ancestors in Wessex 900 years ago. I wonder if they sang this while hunkered in a cave to hide from the wind, rain and hail that usually comes before "Summer" in the UK? If you're having a British Summer too, then your mood will be lightened by this month's article from Dr Philip Hodgson. Philip's article are always insightful, considered and strategic and this one is no exception. I hope you find it useful.
We're seeing a sea-change in our industry as firms scramble to build fledgling user experience (UX) teams. While this is a sure sign of a maturing discipline, it is not without its teething problems. In particular, the voice of the UX team can sometimes sound more like a whisper. Why do some UX teams fail to achieve the impact expected of them? Here are 6 mistakes we've seen in UX teams that prevent them from having boardroom influence. Read the article in full: 6 mistakes that prevent UX teams from having boardroom influence.
A common concern of people running usability tests is that sooner or later they'll run into a difficult participant. Who are these difficult characters and how can we prevent them from being a problem? Read the article in full: Dealing with difficult usability test participants.
Some interesting usability-related articles that got our attention over the last month:
- 6 times when a usability expert review is the right choice.
- Case studies on the problems of offering too much choice.
- Really starting a career in UX (there are no short cuts)
- Reconciling market segments and personas.
- How to phrase probing questions in a usability study without leading participants.
- How to impress people with your whiteboard skills.
- Curious about the new BCS UX Certification scheme? You can now register your interest.
We have three online training courses in user experience. Save money when you purchase them as a bundle.
“What seems to have gone wrong is that people have said one thing and they did something else in the ballot box.” — Peter Kellner, president of YouGov, after extensive opinion polling failed to predict the UK 2015 election result