When planning user research studies, there are four fundamental principles from psychology that user researchers must know. These are: your users do not think like you think; your users donít have good insight into the reasons for their behaviour; the best predictor of your usersí future behaviour is their past behaviour; and your usersí behaviour depends on context.
"Design is easy," writes branding expert Marty Neumeier. "All you do is stare at the screen until drops of blood form on your forehead." One element that makes design difficult is a lack of constraints. Focusing on your productís red routes provides the key constraint you need to ship a high value product from version 1.
The magic of usability tests is that you get to see what people actually do with a system (rather than what they say they do). This gives you great insights into how people behave and how to improve your design. But if your tasks lack realism youíll find that people just go through the motions and donít engage with the test — reducing the credibility of your results. Here are 6 ways to captivate participants with great test tasks.
Follow a young man's journey as he discovers the three secrets of user-centred design. After reading this 40-page fable, you'll understand the framework of user-centred design and know how to apply it to your own design project. It's a small book that has big results.
Important roads in London are known as 'red routes' and Transport for London do everything in their power to make sure passenger journeys on these routes are completed as smoothly and quickly as possible. Define the red routes for your web site and you'll be able to identify and eliminate any usability obstacles on the key user journeys.
Rather than create yet another definition of usability, we decided to take a different approach and work through the alphabet, picking one word for each letter to capture the flavour of the field. So we proudly present the A-Z of usability or usability in 26 words.
Search for articles by keyword
- 7 articles tagged accessibility
- 4 articles tagged axure
- 5 articles tagged benefits
- 16 articles tagged careers
- 8 articles tagged case study
- 1 article tagged css
- 8 articles tagged discount usability
- 2 articles tagged ecommerce
- 19 articles tagged ethnography
- 14 articles tagged expert review
- 2 articles tagged fitts law
- 5 articles tagged focus groups
- 1 article tagged forms
- 7 articles tagged guidelines
- 11 articles tagged heuristic evaluation
- 7 articles tagged ia
- 14 articles tagged iso 9241
- 11 articles tagged iterative design
- 3 articles tagged layout
- 2 articles tagged legal
- 11 articles tagged metrics
- 3 articles tagged mobile
- 8 articles tagged moderating
- 3 articles tagged morae
- 2 articles tagged navigation
- 9 articles tagged personas
- 15 articles tagged prototyping
- 7 articles tagged questionnaires
- 2 articles tagged quotations
- 4 articles tagged roi
- 17 articles tagged selling usability
- 13 articles tagged standards
- 47 articles tagged strategy
- 2 articles tagged style guide
- 5 articles tagged survey design
- 6 articles tagged task scenarios
- 2 articles tagged templates
- 21 articles tagged tools
- 58 articles tagged usability testing
- 3 articles tagged user manual
User Experience Articles
Our most recent articles