Back in the late 80s, I remember reading a book by Stewart Brand titled "The Media Lab: Inventing the Future at MIT." (I just checked the title on Amazon and discovered that it's currently available from Amazon MarketPlace for 1 penny!). A lot of the projects described in the book seemed far-fetched at the time, probably because the web hadn't been invented so it was hard to envisage how these projects would be delivered. Reading over the book now, it's astonishing how many of these research projects are now part of the fabic of our daily lives.
There was one project I remember — "Personal Newspaper" — that predicted a future with electronic newspapers personalised to each individual's tastes and interests. Stewart Brand called this, "The Daily Me". With the advent of RSS, we're getting closer to this vision, but RSS isn't the most usable of technologies. However, combined with customisable Web 2.0 home page/portal solutions like Netvibes and Pageflakes, I think the future may have arrived.
Here at Userfocus Towers, we've been using Netvibes to keep up to date with various RSS feeds in usability — a usability supplement to our daily newspaper. We thought that others might be interested in using this as a way of keeping up to date in usability, so we decided to publish it.
View the Usability Daily Me on Netvibes. (Netvibes is free to use and you don't need to register).
Screenshot of the usability RSS news feeds on Netvibes.
About the author
Anna-Gret Higgins holds a BSc in Psychology and a PhD Counselling Psychology. She is a Chartered Psychologist and an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society. Anna-Gret manages the usability testing team at Userfocus and has logged hundreds of hours in usability tests of public and private sector web sites.
Foundation Certificate in UX
Gain hands-on practice in all the key areas of UX while you prepare for the BCS Foundation Certificate in User Experience. More details
Every month, we share an in-depth article on user experience with over 10,000 newsletter readers. Want in? Sign up now and download a free guide to usability test moderation.
If you liked this, try
There is no shortage of accessibility tools on the web. The problem is identifying the ones that are really useful. Here is a collection of on-line tools that we use in our day-to-day consultancy work to support accessibility reviews. Web Accessibility Tools.
User Experience Articles
Our most popular articles
Our most commented articles
Our most recent articles
- Feb 6: The Beginners' Guide to Contextual Interviewing
- Jan 9: The 8 competencies of user experience: a tool for assessing and developing UX Practitioners
- Dec 5: Non-UX books that every UX practitioner should read
- Nov 1: What one UX skill or ability is the most important to master?
- Oct 5: What do we mean by user experience leadership?
Search for articles by keyword
- 7 articles tagged accessibility
- 4 articles tagged axure
- 5 articles tagged benefits
- 16 articles tagged careers
- 8 articles tagged case study
- 1 article tagged css
- 8 articles tagged discount usability
- 2 articles tagged ecommerce
- 14 articles tagged ethnography
- 14 articles tagged expert review
- 1 article tagged fitts law
- 4 articles tagged focus groups
- 1 article tagged forms
- 6 articles tagged guidelines
- 10 articles tagged heuristic evaluation
- 7 articles tagged ia
- 14 articles tagged iso 9241
- 9 articles tagged iterative design
- 3 articles tagged layout
- 2 articles tagged legal
- 11 articles tagged metrics
- 3 articles tagged mobile
- 7 articles tagged moderating
- 3 articles tagged morae
- 2 articles tagged navigation
- 9 articles tagged personas
- 15 articles tagged prototyping
- 7 articles tagged questionnaires
- 1 article tagged quotations
- 4 articles tagged roi
- 16 articles tagged selling usability
- 12 articles tagged standards
- 43 articles tagged strategy
- 2 articles tagged style guide
- 4 articles tagged survey design
- 5 articles tagged task scenarios
- 2 articles tagged templates
- 21 articles tagged tools
- 52 articles tagged usability testing
- 3 articles tagged user manual